How can you enjoy yourself at parties and social gatherings while still maintaining healthy eating habits? Here are a few tips:
- Scan the food table and come up with a plan before serving yourself. Look through the items and try to use the “plate method”. Load up on veggies, have a carb-y treat, have some protein, and a little fat. Don’t feel obliged to take a sample of everything as you move down the buffet line. If there are chips and cookies, maybe just choose one (not both) as your carb-y treat. Or if you are going to drink alcohol, maybe skip the treat entirely.
- In general, think about prioritizing calories. If there are high calorie treats/beverages, prioritize which one sounds the best to you. Then, consume that one, not all of the options.
- When choosing alcoholic beverages, pace yourself. Instead of having 3 beers, maybe have one and drink water the rest of the time. If you are having a mixed drink, skip the sugary mixers and do something simple like a clear hard liquor + club soda.
- When socializing with friends, stand far away from the food table. It will reduce the temptation to graze.
- Instead of grabbing handfuls of snacks, put the food on a plate so you can see how much you are eating.
- If you are going to a potluck, take Annie’s suggestion to bring veggies as your dish. There will be plenty of people bringing chips, desserts, etc.
- If you are at the event with a friend and you want to enjoy a sweet treat, consider sharing the item. If you are attending the party alone, choose a smaller treat. Regardless of whether you are sharing or eating the dessert/treat alone, consider just taking a single a bite to get the flavor. No need to eat the whole thing. Usually the first bite of dessert is the best anyway!
- Keep moving throughout the day. Do a workout in the morning. When at parties, alternate time between sitting, standing and walking around.
Hope these tips are helpful!
Joann & Annie, GCCF Nutrition Coaches